I love breakfast, a good cup of coffee and sleep. What’s wrong with that equation? They don’t always belong in the same sentence. The snooze button is my best friend. Which, means I wind up eating the same thing for breakfast EVERY morning because opening a yogurt and making a slice of toast is quick! But, BORING! Especially for someone who actually enjoys cooking.
Life is too short to be boring and breakfast is a very important meal! It sets the tone for your whole day, gives you the energy you need, gets your metabolism going, and reduces hunger throughout the day.
There is more than a bowl of cereal or yogurt for breakfast! Put down the McBreakfast, refrain from that high-sugar muffin staring through the pastry case and yes…that Starbucks breakfast sandwich can’t compare! Making breakfast can be fast, simple AND cost effective! You’ll get your snooze button, save money and eat healthier! Have I addressed all of your excuses yet?
I love a good breakfast sandwich! Homemade breakfast sandwiches are typically healthier for you and are made fresh in your very own kitchen, with real ingredients instead of assembled, frozen and re-heated. Fresh food always tastes better!
So, I decided a little planning ahead needed to happen so I could have it all: the snooze button AND a delicious quick breakfast sandwich! I promise, they’re simple and delicious! Give it a try see how much more delicious breakfast can be!
1 English Muffin
Heirloom tomato slice
- While your egg pan heats (over medium heat), slice your tomato and avocado and get out any other toppings or spreads you’ll use. Split the English muffin and place in toasted, but don’t toast yet.
- (Go about your morning routine while the pan heats)
- Once the pan is warm (hover your hand over the pan and you should feel the heat), scramble the eggs into your pre-heated pan and stir so that they get all cooked.
- Push down your English muffin and spread your avocado once it’s toasted then assemble the rest of your sandwich (veggies, spread, herbs, etc) and decide if you want your cheese melted on your eggs or right on the English muffin.
- Place the eggs on top of your prepared masterpiece and enjoy!!
See!? Swift, simple and delicious as promised! Enjoy a wonderful breakfast at home, saving money and eating healthier!
Even the best egg sandwich can get boring so I wanted to include a few other ideas for those who want to mix it up or might not be thrilled with English Muffins!
Breakfast Sandwich Variations:
- Carb: crumpet, whole wheat wrap, corn or flour tortilla, pita, slice of toast or rustic bread
- Protein: eggs, tofu, cheese (feta, mozzarella, cheddar), dairy-free cheese (my favorite that actually melts is Galaxy Mozzarella (review here), turkey or Canadian bacon, ham
- Veggies: spinach, arugula, tomato, roasted peppers, sun dried tomato
- Spread: avocado, pesto, Dijon, Cholula
- Herbs: basil, cilantro, or parsley (fresh is best but dried is great and can be mixed into eggs, tofu, spreads, etc)
If we can’t eat together, we may as well be together in social spirit! Post what your favorite homemade quick breakfast idea or breakfast sandwich variation is with a picture on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook and tag with #socialbreakfast to get ideas and inspiration! We can enjoy each others company for a lovely breakfast by photo! Invite others to social breakfast and let’s see what breakfast ideas others have!
I’ll be gathering the pictures into a Pinterest board and linking back to other blogs so you can also nominate your favorite blog or breakfast post.
Don’t forget to check out My Pintrest Boards if you need a little more breakfast inspiration:
- Quick & Easy Breakfast Ideas
- Brekky & Brunch
- Pancakes, Waffles, Crepes
- Breakfast Breads, Cakes and Crumbles