Recipe from: thecleaneatingmama.com
- For the crumb topping:
- 1/3 cup melted non-dairy butter, such as Earth Balance
- 1/2 cup turbinado sugar or brown sugar
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- For the cake:
- 1 1/2 cup spelt flour
- 3/4 cup natural cane sugar, organic if possible
- 2 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teasp salt
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon flax meal + 3 tablespoons water)
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk of your choice
- 1/8 cup apple sauce
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Prepare the crumb topping – melt butter, set aside to cool. In a medium bowl combine sugar, flour and cinnamon. Then add butter and mix until ingredients are fully wet. You will have globs of sugar mixture
- Prepare the cake – Combine flax and water first. Then in a medium bowl combine milk, apple sauce, vanilla and flax egg. Mix well. Then add dry ingredients. Mix until all flour has been combined, but be careful not to over mix.
- Pour batter into a 9 x 9 baking dish that has been lightly sprayed with cooking spray. Now evenly add your crumble to the top of the cake batter.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Check with a toothpick to make sure cake has fully cooked.