You hear it all the time, “Breakfast is a very (or sometimes MOST) important meal” but so is hitting the snooze button! I love simple recipes that fit into my fast paced lifestyle. I found this recipe in the wonderful Martha Stewart’s recipe vaults, and I made a few tweaks for my food allergies.
Made the first batch and I’m proud to say that the taste testers not only survived (phew) but they got raving review’s and a multiple request to be made again! Now that makes a bakers heart happy!
Quick and easy breakfast idea: Make these on a weekend and individually wrap a few and freeze the rest. You can quickly warm one or two up in the microwave and put a almond butter on it for some protein and out the door you go!
Healthy Banana Blueberry Muffins
From: Everyday Food
(Adapted for my allergies)
- 1 c. whole wheat flour
- 3/4 c. all purpose flour
- 1/4 c. wheat germ
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 c. substituted butter for apple sauce
- 1/3 c. sugar (I usually cut out the granulated sugar)
- 1/3 c. brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 rape bananas, one mashed and one in chunks
- 1/3 c. substituted milk for soy milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 c. blueberries
- 1/3 cup coconut (my own addition)
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Whisk flours, wheat germ, baking soda, salt together and set aside.
- Mix apple sauce and sugars in a medium sized bowl. I usually omit the granulated sugar if a recipe calls for both white and brown.
- Add in eggs at one at a time, careful to not over beat with each addition.
- In a separate bowl, mash mashed banana and fold in the cut banana pieces, soy milk and vanilla.
- Combine the flour mixture and the banana mixture until both are just blended. Be careful to not overwork the batter.
- Fold in coconut and blueberries. If you are using frozen blueberries make sure you allow them to thaw and drain the berries out of the juice.
- Pour batter into prepared muffin and bake in pre-heated oven. Turn the pan half way through cooking time to ensure even baking. Cook for 25-28 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack, then enjoy!
See the original recipe here