These muffins have become a staple in our house. Rarely does the same baked good get requested twice in a row (we like variety!) but these have a standing invite to grace our kitchen any time they want. The Mr. requests them almost weekly! I’m not a big breakfast person…or morning person for that matter. I’m more of a “hand me a BIG cup of coffee and please leave me be” kind of person. These muffins smeared with my Homemade Almond Butter are my new go-to breakfast along with a big up for coffee. Mmmmm…..
Muffins are one of my favorite treats to have but most store bought ones usually leave me feeling guilty for the portion size or on a sugar high and flour flop. These don’t have any added sugar (just natural honey and molasses) and the mix of gluten-free flour with the wheat bran does feel like I’ve eaten a straight cup of flour that will now sit in the bottom of my stomach for the next two days. I’ll grab one of these, smear it with Almond butter and pair with an almond milk latte and I’m fueled up and ready to conquer my morning!
Bran Muffins + Raisins
Makes: 1 dozen muffins
Prep time: 10 min | Cook time: 25-30 min
1 c. Milk of Choice (I use almond)
1/4 c. Applesauce
1/4 c. Coconut Oil
1/8 c. Honey
1/8 c. Molasses
1/2 tsp. Vanilla
*Optional* 1- Cup Blueberries – fresh or frozen
1 1/2 c Wheat Bran
1/4 c Ground Flax Seed
3/4 c Gluten Free flour + 1/4 c spelt flour (or 1 c Whole Wheat Flour)
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Salt
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F and grease your muffin tin.
- In a medium bowl, mix the wet ingredients (sans blueberries). Then, add the dry ingredients. The batter will be thicker but that’s ok, resist the urge to thin it out. Once everything is well incorporated fold in your blueberries if you’re adding them.
- Scoop the batter into your prepared muffin pan and fill each cup almost to the top, these don’t rise a whole lot.
- Bake in your pre-heated oven for 25-30 minutes. They are done when the top springs back when lightly pushed.
- Remove from tin and let cool then enjoy!